Friday, August 2, 2013

Gunmetal Grey Eyeliners: MUFE Aqua Eyes in 21L vs. Urban Decay 24/7 in Gunmetal




Some of you may know that I'm not a fan of wearing black eyeliner pencil during the day. I have quite a gaze and if I line my eyes with a black eyeliner (excluding classic winged looks), I tend to intimidate people even more. Cool browns and dark greys are a lot more flattering. They also open up my eyes rather than make things look a little slimmer and just a bit too intense.


Gunmetal grey with just a hit of shimmer is my favorite shade of grey. All of my eyeliner pencils have to be long lasting and super soft. A huge plus is a built in smudger. However, all these things don't all come in one pencil. I love my Estee Lauder but the grey it offers is not metallic or shimmery. A matte grey can look too flat. I also wanted something even softer in formulation. The Estee Lauder pencil is divine in warmer climates but it tugs a little during the winter.

After numerous tryouts and lots of research, I have purchased MUFE Aqua Eyes in 21L and Urban Decay 24/7 in Gunmetal. Both retail for $19 and are available at Sephora. I feel that both have similar staying powers. I can wear them all day with minimum touch ups. Usually just once in the afternoon. The MUFE fades only in certain places while the Urban Decay fades in color throughout. So it's really about do you prefer to have a few little pieces missing or even disappearance.

Gunmetal comes in the vintage collection and Uzi from the regular collection is almost an exact dupe. MUFE has a lighter grey (22L) that's actually a bit more like Gunmetal. I actually prefer blue based greys and Gunmetal is absolutely perfect except I wish it was a bit darker. I think the shimmer looks great if you are just wearing some mascara and eyeliner. It adds a bit more dimension to a simple look however, you need to make sure that you clean your eye area properly because the shiny pieces tend to linger.

MUFE:
  • Slightly drier - tugs during the winter
  • Metallic
  • Not exactly water resistant 


Urban Decay:
  • Softer
  • Shimmer/micro glitter
  • Not exactly water resistant but slightly better


Top: Urban Decay, Bottom: MUFE
Since the Urban Decay formula is a lot softer, I'm leaning towards favoring this one. However, there are always days when I don't want any shimmer and prefer a darker shade. It would be great if Urban Decay made another dark grey shade that's similar to 21L. I still have to test the 24/7 when it starts snowing but for now, it's a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment