Tuesday, August 27, 2013

GiGi New York White Teddie Tote Review: Longchamp Replacement?


It's been a while since I did a wardrobe related post. I have an obsession with clean looking totes and I'm very particular about their shape and construction. The GiGi Teddie Totes have been a favorite since my search for Longchamp replacements began. This picture just does not do the white tote any justice. The darker ones are more accurately represented but the beautiful bright white here comes across as some ashy bag.


I started using Longchamp Le Pliage just a few years after the line came out. Back then not many people used them and I had several in all sorts of colors and styles. It's an incredibly good line. Light weight, easy to travel with and surprisingly sturdy. I think one of the things that they did really well is the color selection. There are numerous colors to choose from and magically all of them matches my everyday outfits. The team must have put a lot of effort in choosing the most versatile shades. The colors usually do not stand out on their own but they also complete your outfit.
In the old days, the quality was a lot better and the size of the largest tote was actually a bit bigger, meeting my demands of fitting an endless list of things in there. I throw my bags around so this led to the wearing of the corners which to be honest, is the only major flaw with these bags. I would prefer a bigger inner compartment but that's all.
Over the years, Le Pliage has become too popular, it's literally everywhere and the quality has gone down so I've been on a search for a good replacement for a while. The GiGi tote is not a perfect replacement because it is all leather, thus heavier and less weather proof but I am very satisfied with it.



Tote Search Checklist:
  • Slight inverted trapezoid shape
  • Super sturdy (I really trash my bags)
  • Preferably 1 zipped interior pocket
  • Simple compartmentalization
  • Comfortable shoulder straps
  • Weather resistant
  • Lightweight (not always feasible)
  • Color has to match well with my wardrobe
  • Metal feet are a plus

What I like:
  • Sturdy
  • Clean design
  • Inner zipped compartment
  • Leather lining
  • Matches with almost everything in my closet
  • Metal feet
What I don't like:
  • Getting pricier
  • No zipper
  • A bit heavy
  • Shoulder straps may dig in after a long day

The leather is smooth but very tough and thick so it's a lot more weather proof and durable than most leather bags. The white doesn't really get dirty and if your denim rubs off, a little leather cleaner will take care of it. I actually prefer the grainy leather interior rather than the cloth ones since it's easier to clean and random bits and pieces don't cling onto it.

No comments:

Post a Comment