Monday, July 29, 2013

SKII Facial Treatment Essence: The Miracle Water



This is sort of a part 2 to my previous SKII rave. Yes, I'm finally going to review the famous Essence for people under 25 with combinations skin.



This is an all time classic targeted towards more mature skin but I find this to be an excellent addition to my skincare. I may not necessarily enjoy all the benefits of the Essence due to age differences but I really cannot live without this.

I use this every night after the SKII toner. I'm not sure whether I should describe this as a toner, serum, moisturizer or something else. It's kind of hard to explain because in a way it covers most of their functions. With over 90% of the liquid being Pitera, it leans towards some kind of serum/concentrate but it comes in a toner form with moisturizing properties. Sometimes this would be all I use at night along with an eye cream on those lazy days.

The product is close to scentless. There is a very faint fermented rice like scent that's barely noticeable which I believe is the Pitera complex that's derived from rice. It's basically a faint sake smell if anyone is unfamiliar with what fermented rice can lead to. I usually pat this onto my face with my hands. You can also use a cotton pad but since I already do the cleansing/exfoliating with my toner, I just skip this step with the Essence.

After 1 month of use (once a day) I saw clear improvements. The most obvious would be that my skin calmed down and became less oily. My face also started to get that lovely translucent glow. Since I am rather pale, the brightening part wasn't too obvious but continuous use does show some results. I think it speeds up recovery from acne scars on a more natural level than serums (so keep in mind that this is not a quick fix). It also helps with maintaining a smooth skin texture since I do get clogged pores very easily.

The reason that I really wanted to get this review out there is because I love to use this after the toner at night as my summer moisturizer replacement. Sometimes the weather can be so hot and humid that any kind of moisturizer would feel greasy on your skin. I highly recommend people with combination skin and oily skin to give this a try.

What I like:
  • Gentle
  • Hydrating
  • Clarifying & some brightening
  • Improves skin texture
  • Balances oils

What I don't like:
  • Price
  • Glass bottle is not travel friendly

In terms of dupes, it is said that Missha as a similar product that almost half the price. I personally have not tested it out but if anyone was wondering, other brands have tried to create something similar for less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment