Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sephora Collection the Weekender Makeup Travel Bag Review


I travel a lot both for work and leisure thus I'm a sucker for anything that will make my trips easier. Those handing makeup and toiletry organizer have been around for quite some time but most of them are simply too big and the compartments did not match my needs. I came across this Sephora one by accident and I thought I should share with you guys this awesome travel organization find!



First of all, this shouldn't be called the Weekender. It carries too much stuff to be a weekend makeup/skincare bag. Not only does the design allow you to fit an insane amount of stuff in the compartments labelled 'Makeup' and 'Toiletries', the case is also on the larger side of things. Personally, this is perfect for trips longer than a week unless I'm going to the beach in which case I usually carry slightly more skincare items.



I really enjoy using this and it has made my packing less bulky compared to regular cases and bags. I do wish that it also comes in a smaller version. I never put this in my tote because of its size and weight after its fully packed. This is great for suitcases and carryon luggage but it's not something you would put in your purse or take to the toilet during a flight. A smaller version would definitely be a true weekend bag with the possibility of being kept in a tote without taking up too much space.


I'm not a big fan of super colorful travel cases and the sleek black exterior of the Weekender really appealed to me. At first, this reminded me of a cheap Chanel knockoff but its functionality overcame this minor issue. After all, I don't think I'll ever use a Chanel travel case give how my luggage gets abused on a regular basis.


The zip first opens up to a large toiletries compartment and a brush holder. The case is currently not too full but the items inside should give you an idea of how much more it can hold. I don't carry a lot of brushes these days but I do have a few skinny ones. Please note that there are only two slots for skinnier brushes so I doubled things in the third slot from the right. My Eve Lom Mineral brush and MAC 109 are missing from this photo.


In the next section, there is a really sallow pocket for some simply/flat jewelry and a huge section for makeup. I've got a whole bunch of Chanel and Guerlain palettes in there along with some lipsticks, CC cream, concealer and mascaras. There is also a MAC kabuki which doesn't fit into the brush compartment.


The outer material is faux leather and the inside is a combination of synthetic covers and mesh. Thus far, everything appears to be very sturdy and all of the zippers function smoothly. Personally, I don't exactly need the hook. It's is a nice idea if you happen to be in a small bathroom but since all the stuff I carry adds quite a bit of weight, I fear that if I use the hook too often, it might shorten the life span of the case. Since I never really used the hook, I can't tell you how well to holds but from what I gather, it should be fairly sturdy but will probably damage the case more in the long run.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this purchase and will continue to use it throughout my travels this season. Perhaps I will do a quick update on it in the fall or early winter and let you guys know how well it's holding up.

1 comment: