Monday, June 16, 2014

Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher Conceal and Treat Stick Concealer in #2 Fair Review


Ever since the release of YSL Touche Eclat, there has been dozens of new releases in similar packaging. I finally made the leap and purchased The Retoucher. This is actually rather different from the Touche Eclat in terms of what it does. A common misconception with the original is that people believe it's a concealer, but it's actually a highlighter that hides imperfections using light with minor pigmentation coverage. The Retoucher actually has sufficient pigmentation to cover imperfections and also reflect light in a manner that gives you a healthy glow.

I got this in #2 which suits my MAC NC20 skin tone quite well. I'm not sure if all of her base makeup range are yellow toned but this concealer shade is to a degree (not like Bobbi Brown yellow). There are limited color swatches/review online and not being able to see them in person made the purchasing quite difficult. I feel that if I wanted more of a highlighter effect, I could have gone with #1 but #2 is perfect for my current needs.




On relaxed days, I use this under the eyes, on my brow bone, cheek bones, any redness around the nose and on my chin. It gives an instant lift without the look of heavy coverage. The formula is very moisturizing and gives off a nice glow. I still have to compare this with YSL to see which one looks better in pictures. One thing to note is that this one is much more moisturizing than the YSL which could be a good thing if you have dry patches. However, this can't really cover those red blemishes. It may subdue them but you will need a thicker concealer to completely hide them.

Couldn't quite capture the light the concealer reflects...


What I like:
  • Color match
  • Medium to heavy medium coverage
  • Glowy
  • Easy application


What I don't like:
  • Moisturizing formula sometimes moves around a little on my combination skin during the summer. I need to set it with a translucent/illuminating powder.
  • Can't cover red blemishes
  • Not long lasting enough without setting powder.
  • Price + shipping

This is great for weekends and short days. However, I would not use it for 'all day' makeup except when I need some touch up here and there. As usual, I'm not convinced of its skincare properties. Thus far, I haven't seen any improvements in my skin by using makeup that contains skincare except for the Dior Rouge Serum which is a lip product. This is a pretty good concealer but since there are so many of them in the market, I will still have to try a bunch of others to eventually come back to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment