Thursday, June 5, 2014

Eve Lom Mineral Powder Foundation on 01 Alabaster Review



My all time favorite mineral foundation is the Lancome one but over time it has cut done its shade range. It is very possible that they will eventually cease production and given how it was never launched outside of the U.S., it will be very hard for me to get hold of anymore. I never really found the right color for my skin and given how it's full coverage, it requires color correction. I have always heard of really good things about Eve Lom's skincare so when a color cosmetics range was launched, I immediately bought a couple of things once they became available in the U.S. Despite my prolonged delay in posting, I never rely stop buying makeup and skincare items throughout the past 6 months :P




The white and brushed gold is a really nice touch to the whole range. Fresh and elegant but not over the top. The brush review can be viewed here. It appears that the Eve Lom base makeup leans towards the pinker side of things. Alabaster is the lightest and yellowest shade offered in the mineral form. Although I still feel that it's a tad too pink for my skin (I'm a MAC NC20 to C2). However, given that it's a sheer product, I can get away with such minor differences. I can't testify to its abilities in hiding wrinkles but this powder does not feel dry and fulfills its hydrating claims to a minor degree. It's not as moist as something like Dior Nude powder but I feel that this is also a good choice for people with dry skin.



I kind of wishes that this was full coverage like the Lancome so I can find a better replacement. This mineral powder on its own is very sheer and when applied, will give you a gorgeous glow. Unlike some radiant products, it's not too much for combination skin. In fact, it looks really natural as if you just had a spa treatment. Like some of the other reviews I've read, this look phenomenal over some kind of base such as a CC or BB cream and even over foundation. The product has some oil control but nothing amazing and combination skin will start to see excessive oils within 2 to 3 hours depending on the weather. Another problem I have with this product is its container. Even though it has one of those swivel sieve covers, it's not tight enough thus sometimes product still comes out. Also the sieve is a pit too big and too much product can come out at once if you are not careful. These are things I've never had to deal with with the Lancome mineral foundation. Further packaging improvements are needed.




What I like:

  • Lovely radiant glow
  • Natural
  • Talc free
  • Lightweight & finely milled
What I don't like:
  • Sheer coverage, not really buildable as advertised
  • Limited color selection
  • Oil control is not long lasting enough
  • Sieve cover could be improved, container can still be messy
  • Price
Semi blended with finger on super dry arm

Overall, my skin as reacted nicely to this product and even though it may not hold well throughout humid summer days, I feel this will be a staple for all other seasons, in particular the harsh winter months when my skin could really do with some extra radiance. The effect it produces on the skin is simply incredible. Very few powder products can do this and I will be repurchasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment