Friday, June 6, 2014

Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet Foundation in 10 Beige Review



Strangely, I've actually never used a Chanel foundation before. I've receive generous samples and all but I was never really motivated to go back and purchase a whole bottle. I heard a lot of good things about the Vitalumiere Aqua but was always hesitant about the coverage and lasting power on combination skin, especially during the summer. Over the past 3 months, I've experienced a change in base makeup philosophy. Sheerer items that serve the purpose of evening out skin tones have become a staple. When Chanel released a matte alternative, I immediately got myself a bottle of the new Perfection Lumiere Velvet when it became available in stores.


For many years, whenever I used foundation, I expected medium to full coverage and ignored everything else. As I got older, my skin calmed down and I opted for either just some CC cream with powder or concealer with powder. For days that I need fuller coverage, I opted for powder foundation because they are so quick and easy to apply. This spring, I started using sheer foundations to change things up a little and this has helped me achieve a healthier and glow-ier finish during the shedding of my winter skin. I was a little surprised at first at how small the container is but you get the standard 30 ml. This classic little plastic bottle may not be the most stunning vanity piece but it is super travel friendly and perfect for my lifestyle.


I always thought I was a 20 Beige but in this particular range, I'm a 10 Beige. If you are new to my blog, I'm currently a MAC NC20. The foundation requires shaking prior to use and is rather runny which gives it a super lightweight sensation. It has the classic Chanel scent which might be a problem for some people. You have to apply rather quickly because the foundation settles into a powder like formulation. However, its rather generous in the sense that further blending can be done after it settles.

What I like:
  • Super light weight
  • Interesting finish: semi matte with a subtle glow i.e. velvet
  • Travel friendly packaging
  • Sheer to light medium coverage
  • Natural looking
  • Good color match
  • SPF 15


What I don't like:
  • Can't tell when I will run out
  • Not long lasting enough
  • Sometimes require further blending after liquid settles or there might be some 'powder lines'
  • Rather limited color selection

Top to Bottom: Straight from bottle, Blended out


Overall, I don't think I will be repurchasing this foundation for summer. My main problem is that it's not long lasting enough in warm/hot weather, even with the use of a primer and setting spray. I will also test it out in the colder months and see if I feel differently about its performance. Thus far, it's not too good at keeping the oils at bay (3 hours) and it will start looking less and less natural as the day goes on. This kind of defeats the purpose of having a lightweight and natural looking foundation.


No comments:

Post a Comment