Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Hair Removal: Show Off Those Legs!


Summer is the season where all those little skin imperfections and furs have no place to hide. Let's start this series with an obvious basic, your legs. Here are a few ways to get them silky smooth if you still haven't found your preferred method.



Laser Removal

This is more or less a permanent solution for most people. It is relatively more expensive and several treatments are required. I highly doubt that it's absolutely pain free but if your hairs are coarse and fast growing, this may be the best way to deal with it once and for all.


Waxing

One of the most common ways to deal with body hair and definitely painful. Only people who have either fine hair or lots of practice feel close to nothing. I personally do not like this option. I hate making reservations and clearing out my schedule for a treatment but at home waxing is either too messy or doesn't work well (the cold waxes). My hairs don't grow that fast but the hair roots do. I can definitely start to see some mini stubble developing in the pores within a week of the treatment. Due to this issue, I personally have some doubts about waxing. The result doesn't seem to justify the pain. I also seem to get in grown hairs every now and then after the treatment.


Epilators

Let's be honest, the first two or three times hurt. A lot. No matter what you do. Like waxing, it's an acquired taste. I guess you can see this as an easier and cleaner way of doing waxing at home. It's important to use a good machine (I recommend Braun or Philips) and the little light that some of them come with definitely helps. I always find myself missing a few hairs here and there. Always rub some soothing lotion/gel onto your legs afterwards. Aloe is always a good option.
In terms of longevity, I would say that the stubbles start appearing in the pores about 3-4 days after.


Hair Removal Creams

If you don't have really coarse hair and some patience then this is a great solution. I usually use the cream from Veet and spread it all over my legs while I'm reading my emails at night. It takes about 10-15 minutes to really work well. Some of the formulas also contain hair growth inhibitors so my hairs usually grow back slower than if I shaved.


Shaving

Basic and simple. I highly recommend using a men's razor, especially the ones with five blades. Those always seem to work better. As most of you know, this method doesn't really offer longevity. I find myself shaving every other day.


Bleaching/Dyeing

This is a great option for the lucky few who have very little hair on their legs and do not wish to remove them. If your leg hairs are a bit dark in color, you can get them bleached/dyed so that they are close to invisible.

No comments:

Post a Comment