Saturday, June 22, 2013

St.Tropez Wash Off Instant Glow Body Lotion in Light Review


I was looking for something a little different from the usual self tanners and traditional Sally Hansen leg makeup. I wanted something simple and easy to use that gives me just a little bit of color. The weird thing is my legs barely tan. Maybe two weeks by the beach while being outside everyday will get some results but not much. There is also that thing about protecting your skin from UV radiation so artificial coloring seems to be the way to go. St. Tropez's self tanner are pretty amazing so I decided to give their Wash Off collection a go.


This lotion comes in two shades and I got the Light. At first the coloring is a bit scary when squeezed out of the tube but it sheers out to a subtle golden tan that won't make you look funny or fake. The tiny little shimmers in the lotion gives your skin a beautiful natural glow. It's nothing too obvious, just enough to look healthy.



Keep in mind that this is a runny lotion and it dries really fast. This means you have to work fast but you will be out the door a lot faster as well and don't have to wonder around the house waiting for it to dry. It might be a little tricky at first if you are not familiar with self tanners. You have to work all of it in as fast as you can. I tried adding on a second layer after the first one dried to see if you can build the color but unfortunately the whole thing started to come off and some even got stuck in my pores (no worries it comes off easily).

Coloring came off & lotion stuck in pores look like stubble

Once you get the hang of it everything is pretty easy. They do recommend to use a glove for the application and I have to say you kind of need one. Applying directly with your hands is fine but you risk creating streaks. If you are lazy like me and don't want to use a glove, just mix it in with your regular lotion (you have to lotion prior to application anyways, it's not moisturizing enough to be used on its own). It does have a slightly powdery scent that lasts quite a bit. I personally don't mind it but I can see how some people might. I also recommend doing a little gentle exfoliation prior to using this just to ensure that lovely smooth finish. However, it's not extremely necessary.

Awkward angle... left leg has the lotion, right left is bare

I worn white short with these just to test things out and I have to say it's safe to use! Just make sure that everything is dry before hand. One thing I've noticed with all one day colorings is that they are not necessarily sweat proof. This becomes evident when you cross your legs for a while and a little perspiration breaks out. You may find yourself with a few missing patches. As you can see from the photo above, this particular lotion gives a very subtle tint of color so it's not so obvious compared to more opaque ones in this situation. Before anyone else comes out with a truly perspiration resistant wash off tan, going sheer and going light on the color is the way to.

Removal is super easy. Just jump into the shower and the hot water will take care of it for you. If for some reason, there are still remaining residues, a little shower gel will do the trick. If you apply this with your hands, the same method under the sink will also easily remove everything.

My legs are extremely pale right now (the last photo makes my bare skin look darker than it actually is) so I went for the lighter version. Once I get a bit tanner, I'll probably switch to the darker shade of this or try the Caudalie one that's a bit darker and more opaque.

What I like:

  • Beautiful sheer enhancement
  • Warm golden color
  • Light weight
  • Dries fast
  • Doesn't rub off on clothes
  • Easy to wash off
  • Price


What I don't like:

  • Can't add second layer
  • Have to use a glove or mix with lotion for smoothness
  • Not perspiration resistant

No comments:

Post a Comment