Thursday, December 5, 2013

Beat the Cold: Best Winter Skincare || Facials


I think winter skin might be one of the biggest beauty problems that I have to deal with. Especially when that time of the month brings about breakouts and the healing process leads to unfortunate redness and worst of all, flakiness. Over the years, I have narrowed my winter skincare items into 6 general must-have categories.




Gentle Exfoliant
Flakey patches are likely to stick around unless you exfoliate. The key to winter exfoliation is to be gentle. Toned down chemical formulas are often better than mechanical exfoliators for this situation because there are always these subtle skin flakes that escape the routine and continue to develop on a daily basis. Later on the dry air and harsh winds just dry them out even more, making your face look like you've never exfoliated the night before. A gentle formulate will also allow either daily or every other day use which prevents any accumulation of dry patches. The Clarisonic is a bit too harsh for me to use frequently and I do get dry patches quite frequently. I've been testing Le Jour de Chanel and so far it's been doing pretty well. Alpha H Gentle Daily Exfoliant is another good choice that's worth trying.

Rich & Hydrating Eye Cream
Protect and nourish your sensitive eye area to prevent premature aging. There are numerous eye creams out there that are both rich and hydrating. I like to use the Bobbi Brown at night by applying a slightly thicker layer than usual as sort of a mini eye mask.

Protective & Hydrating Lip Balm
My lips get dry quite easily and after trying out dozens of lip balms, I've concluded that Blistex makes some of the most effective ones. I'm done with sticking my finger into a jar or any of that fruity stuff. The Five Star Lip Protection is a winter favorite because it really does hydrate and protect. I love the fact that it comes with additional SPF 30 and UVA & UVB protection. This is also a great choice for long plane rides.

Deep Hydration Moisturizer
This is pretty obvious. Regardless of your skin type, you have to take extra care of your skin and keep it hydrated. I have a review on my all time favorite moisturizer here.

Lightweight Calming Hydration Mask
Sometimes the weather or your body just gets the best of you. Maintaining a routine of applying a calming hydration mask will reduce redness and dryness. Give both yourself and your skin some quality spa time during the middle of a busy week. Origins Drink Up is a wonderful 10 minute treat!

Lightweight High SPF Sunscreen
If you live in a snowy area then this is absolutely essential. Strictly speaking, you are suppose to wear something with sufficient SPF everyday but white snow reflects sunlight very well and this amplifies the amount of damage that your skin is exposed to on a daily basis. Shiseido's water resistant formula will protect your skin even when snow is blown onto your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment