Monday, June 3, 2013

Chanel CC Cream Review: Is It Worth the Hype?



This item has received a lot of attention long before its launch. It presented itself as something better than all the BB creams and also at a very high price for this product category. So is it really worth it?



Let's just dig in. There are some things that I've noticed that might bother many people. First, it only comes in one shade,  20 Beige. It's a fair yellowed toned shade that's targeted towards Asians. Since the product is only available in Asia and most Asian girls tend to prefer the paler look, this isn't that much of a problem. However, if you are someone with a significantly different skin tone, this is not going to work. Second, this CC cream has a strong rosy smell with a hint of fruits. The scent lasted for quite a while even after application. This is probably not ideal for those of you who are sensitive to smells or have very sensitive skin.




In terms of coverage, I would say that this falls into the medium coverage range for BB creams etc. but in terms of foundations, it's somewhere between sheer and medium coverage. You can layer a little bit but it doesn't become too opaque.

Top to Bottom: From tube, blended


Upon application, the products feels relatively lightweight but it's nothing amazing. I wouldn't describe this as a purely creamy texture. There is something about it that resembles is a cream-mousse.
If you read my skin legend post, you would know that my skin is rather sensitive to new face products. I excepted quite a bit of clogged pores/blemishes when I first started to test this but to my surprise, my skin reacted quite well. There were two or three tiny blemishes and they disappeared the next day. This is considered pretty good for me.
After application, I usually dust on some powder to prolong the wear. My face can look flawless up to 5 hours or so. Afterwards, the oil control properties seem to disappear and the product will start floating around my nose.
I think this will be great for the winter since it provides that extra layer of protection and moisture against the elements but I think this is a little rich for hot summer days. However, if you have dry skin, I don't think it would be a problem.


What I like:
  • Matches my skin tone very well
  • SPF 30 - quite photogenic
  • Blends easily
  • Natural finish with slight glow
  • Some oil control
  • Doesn't break me out

What I don't like:
  • Pricy
  • Hard to get hold of - available on eBay for slightly cheaper prices
  • Not long lasting enough
Bottom line, I think this is a good product but it's not really worth the hype or the price. There are better options out there for half the price or even less. What I like the most about this product is that the color matches my skin tone perfectly. Most BB creams are either too ashy or pink, this one is just yellow enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment